Thursday, July 17, 2008

Street DJ



Text and picturer by Eki Qushay Akhwan

A party without music is probably like soup without broth and spices; and party music without a DJ is probably like soup cooked by a person who knows nothing about cooking. All that said, I think a DJ is important in creating the mood at a party.

The DJ featured in this picture was performing his magic at the STV (a local TV station) universary celebration held on Braga Street, Bandung, sometime ago. I like the pieces of music he put together, tried to get on to the stage and asked if I could take his photograph. He didn't mind.



And here is the "street-adjusted" control panel he was operating.

Meanwhile ...

In the past week, I have received Arte y Pico award from Dina of Jerusalem Hills Daily Photo and Murphy Jay of Petaling Jaya (Malaysia) Daily Photo. My sincere thanks to both of you.

Now, I'd like to pass on this Award to:

Livio of Torino Per Imagini.
Hilda of My Manila
Sailor Girl of Atlantico Azul
Tanti of Staveger Daily Photo, and
Babooshka of Ramsey Daily Photo.

Rules:

1) You have to pick 5 blogs that you copnsider deserve this award, creativity, design, interesting material, and also contrubuites to the blogger community, no matter of language.
2) Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone.
3) Each award-winning, has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog thathas given her or him the ward itself.
4) Award-winning and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of "Arte y pico"blog , so everyone will know the origin of this award.
5) To show these rules.


8 comments:

~tanty~ said...

His face seems familiar to me.
BTW, thank you very much for the award unfortunately I have to say no.
No hard feeling ya ... gak ada waktu seh *halah* :D

Rambling Woods said...

Congratulations Eki..I found you via Dina and I am happy that I did..

Jane Hards Photography said...

Firstly thank you so much for the award and thinking of me. It' very knid of you and I accept it graciously. I will pass it onto some deserving blogs who I think often go unoticed that I would like to highlight.

Again your analogy of the dj to a party as the chef to good cooking has made me think. Never really considered the dj aspect before, but have to say yes you are absolutely spot on. It's such a natural portrait of the man and his working environment.

Hilda said...

Eki, thank you so much for the award! I'm honored. Now I'm going to have to choose which blogs to pass it on too—difficult because there are so many that I like, and not just CDP blogs!

Anonymous said...

Great photo I LOVE music, world beat techno and electronic, I wonder what that DJ is playing...

Anonymous said...

too bad? why he looked so sad. I guess he was getting a lot of problems

Eki said...

Tanty: It's okay, Tanty. No hard feelings!

Michelle, Babooshka, Hilda: Thanks.

Teladan98 (Andri?): I didn't realize he looked sad ... Hmmm ... I think he was just concentrating at the music he was playing ...

Henk Madrotter said...

That's Dj E-one from the Cronik Crew,he's a buddy of mine and a very good scratcher, he was also the dj/scratcher forBandung punk/hiphop band Homicide...

Here's Cronik live:

http://madrotter.blogspot.com/2007/10/cronik-with-tha-big-bozzo-live-in.html

And here E-one is performing with Homicide:

http://madrotter.blogspot.com/2007/10/homicide-live-at-trl-cafe-bandung.html

And here's an album from Homicide:

http://madrotter.blogspot.com/2009/02/homicide-nekrophone-days-2006.html