Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Summer" Rain




Text and picture by Eki Qushay Akhwan

There is of course no summer in a tropical city like Bandung. We have only two seasons: Musim kemarau (dry season), which normally lasts between April and October, and musim penghujan (wet or rainy season) between November and March. So I did not expect that it would be raining when I set out on my motorbike to Bandung Culinary Festival last Saturday. But it did. And it was quite heavy. The sudden downpour had forced many motorbikers like myself to find a shelter from the rain. This place - a small patch of park under the Pasupati Bridge/flyover - was the choice for many who happened to be around or passing the area. While waiting for the rain to stop, I took out my camera and had a look around to see if there was anything I could photograph and share with you. Here is one of them.

9 comments:

Livio Bonino said...

Great idea to carry a camera always by yourself

Livio Bonino said...

Hi Eki,
Thanks for your stopping by in my blog and overall thanks for your kind comment about my city.

Virginia said...

Eki,
Sometimes the best photos are the unexpected, unplanned ones. This is terrific - great contrast and composition. Very well done!

MJ said...

Beautiful shot.

Guess the rain won't deter a passionate photographer :)

Anonymous said...

lagi hujan bang di bandung..

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is a nmarvellous b&w. The swoop of the dark contarast perfectly with the light above.

Hilda said...

This is a beautiful shot!

LOL at your comment about your seasons. I used to think we only had wet and dry too, but I really have to add 'cold' (well, only comparatively) now.

Sab said...

I love the angle on this one and the black and white emphasises it even more - great!

slim said...

Thank you for sharing your comments on my Quincy blog. This is a fantastic catch . . . very strong image which works so well in b+w.