Thursday, July 24, 2008

City of People: Night Basketballers

CITY OF PEOPLE - NIGHT BASKETBALLERS

Text and picture by Eki Qushay Akhwan

Above all else, a city, I think, is about people. Buildings, streets, cars, and trains are just the accessories. Without people, all the material things only make a dead city. The essence of a city is POEPLE: their happiness and sorrow, their work and trades, their walks and games are the things that make a city beats.

In the past fourty days or so, you have been walking Bandung with me, looking at some of its notable material existence; but then, without knowing its people, I don't think you have yet felt the heartbeat of the city they way I and its many others residents do. So, in the next few posts, I'm going to introduce them to you, in candid, unedited, and unobstructed snapshots that will, hopefully, get you in touch with the very thing that makes the city so lovable to many despite its many shortcomings.

Allow me to begin with these night basketballers on Braga Street.

12 comments:

T said...

Great shot! :) I've been browsing cdpb and found this interesting picture as one that was just updated. Oh, ternyata punya bang eki..hehe! Keren euy!

Btw, thanks pisan bang uda ngasi tau error aku yang di post terakhir, hehe! Waah, bersyukur sekali punya tmn kaya lu, Bang! Thanks ya! :)

Virginia said...

Eki,
I look forward to this glimpse into the soul of your city- its people. You are a gifted writer and it adds so much to your photos.

Unknown said...

Looks to me like these men are really having a great time of fun as if they are watching a basket ball hit the hoop.

Susan said...

I love all the facial expressions captured in this shot, Eki.

MJ said...

I can feel their excitement or fun through your shot.

Looking forward to your future posts on the people of Bandung.

Anonymous said...

I think it is the expressions on the faces that makes the picture. I also agree with you that it is people who make life for us possible.

A city is a kind of leech that sucks the blood out of the country.

The country is where the food comes from the city needs to survive.

Layrayski said...

Isn't that something I plan to post a sports photo tomorrow. Nice shot. I love the expressions on their faces. Nice.

Z said...

I agree with you, it is more interesting to put people into the photos. But, as I'm too shy to go ask peole for permission to publish their images on my blog, and because I myself would say no to such a request, I avoid it. What to do??

Hilda said...

Basketball is such a big thing here in the Philippines too. Which I totally do not get because most Filipinos are too short to ever compete globally. But that never stopped anyone from having absolute fun! ;D

Anonymous said...

love this photo, great to watch... those guys having fun!!

Rambling Woods said...

Eki..how much you must love your city to try to bring an understanding to those of us who don't live there. This is a very precious series of photos. That is talent Eki..

Rambling Woods said...

Basketball is very popular here. But I think the social opportunity that it presents to a group of friends is priceless and universal....another great photo and story Eki