Sunday, July 20, 2008
Bandung Cathedral: The History
Text and picture by Eki Qushay Akhwan
The Bandung Cathedral or the Saint Peter Church on Merdeka Street (merdeka means freedom) is one of the most notable landmarks of the city of Bandung.
The church, which was designed by Ir. C.P. Wolff Schoemaker, was built as part of the Civic Center area (which includes a city hall, a park, a school, a police station, a bank, and a Protestant church) when the city of Bandung received its municipality status (Dutch: gementee) on April 1, 1906. Its construction began in 1921 and was completed and consecrated by Mgr. Luypen on February 19, 1922.
The Saint Peter Church replaced the Saint Regis Church which had previously served the Catholics in Bandung from 1895.
Catholics make up about 3.05 percent (or about 6.5 millions) of Indonesian population (as of the year 2000).
Bandung Daily Photo